Saturday, November 1, 2014

New Kid in Town

Moving to Holland wasn't my first plan, it had never crossed my mind to even consider this tiny beautiful country. My goal was to get to NY, and as cliché as that sounds I put my heart and soul into it. In the end, although I was granted a scholarship to go, it just wasn't possible, and I ended up here.
I live in The Hague, which is great since it's the legal capital of the world. The small buildings and cute streets make it a very quaint and comfortable place to live. I just haven't found myself yet, or rather, found my comfort zone.
I know who I am, I discovered myself last year, however this knowledge about yourself can limit the amount of friends you make afterwards. Therefore I scrutinize every single person I meet in the hopes of finding someone who is similar to me. I haven't found anyone yet.
I've always been very independent and sometimes I do enjoy solitude, nevertheless it has been two months and I hate to admit that i just feel completely alone.
It isn't because i'm marginalized by others, or that i know absolutely no-one, or that i'm never invited anywhere, because I am and I do know people, and oddly those people consider me a really good friend of theirs. But I just don't feel comfortable or completely myself with them, and in the end I feel lonely because I have no-one with whom to share my love for the blues, or my midnight deep conversations.
I keep comparing what my life would have been like if I had actually left to the states, but I think all in all i just have to give it a try and think positively. A transaction like the one I made, of moving to another country, with a different language and mentality is never easy, and I had such high expectations it's almost obvious that I was going to be disappointed about one thing or the other.
Luckily I know that in the long run I will find my way, and for now i'm just going to do my thing, not settle for anything or anyone, and live my life as happily as I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment